Friday, November 12, 2010

Recipe Anyone?

One month after surgery and I am trying to get back to normal.  I am much more tired than I anticipated and apologize for being away so long.  I will keep trying to post regularly, but no promises right now.  So, for something different I thought I would share with you a recipe that I created the other day...ENJOY!

Grown-up Macaroni and Cheese

This will fill a  9 x12 baking dish
1lb whole wheat macaroni                                          1 lb hamburger
1 Tbsp horseradish                                                    2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/3 cup finely chopped onion                                     6 Tbsp margarine or butter
approx. 1/2 cup flour                                                 2-3 cups of milk
1 tsp salt                                                                    1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 block Velveeta type cheese (I cut into cubes for easy melting)
2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Boil macaroni.  Drain, rinse, and place in  baking dish.  Fry the hamburger with the horseradish.  Drain off the grease and mix it into macaroni.  Melt butter in a saucepan over medium high heat.  Add the onions, salt, and pepper. Once the onions are cooked, gradually whisk in the flour until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Turn heat down to low.  Stir in the mustard and milk. Gradually increase the heat.  As sauce to heat up, stir in the cheeses.  After the cheese melts, pour it over the macaroni and meat. Mix well and bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes.

Everyone at my house enjoyed this a lot!

Things I may add to this recipe next time..
I thought that possibly placing tomato wedges around the edges of the pan would sweeten this up a bit, and make it look pretty.  Another idea of something to add for a little extra kick would be a couple of banana peppers fried in with the hamburger.

If anyone makes this, please let me know how it turns out.  Thanks!
WonderWoman

No comments:

Post a Comment