Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Critical Opinion

I am finding it a lot harder than I had thought to find time to write on here.  I am trying hard. The weekends are incredibly difficult. Especially when I have my nose buried in the Twilight book series!  I put off reading it for a long time.  I like to read a series quickly, one right after the other.  I hate to have to wait 6 months for the next book to be released.  As you can tell, patience is not one of my virtues!  So in 4 days I read the first 2 books of the series.  I have enjoyed them immensely.  OBVIOUSLY!  They are intriguing yet very light and easy to read, maybe because they are marketed towards teenagers and I am 40?!  I also spent some time with the family over the weekend.  We watched the movie Avatar together.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it.  It had something all could enjoy.

I think both of the stories are solid.  They contain all the right elements to be hits.  Action, Drama, Romance, and Suspense.   They are both developed from the  classic good versus evil theme.  It is remarkable how well this type of story always sells, but it does.    While the vampire books are well written, I did not find them thought provoking. This was part of the appeal for me.  Avatar on the other hand has stayed with me for 2 days.  I find it represents the attitude of  American society very well.  The idea that we can pretty much do whatever we want.  If we want something we can just offer what we think is a fair price and then if we are refused,  we can just take it by force.  I find this sad.  This is not something new.  It is what happened to the Native Americans.  I guess Americans have a reputation throughout the world as being rude.  I wonder why?  How inconsiderate can we be?  

I know it is only a movie but, these are things I have only begun to think about in recent years.  Dare I say - as I have gotten older?  Maybe the reason Americans are so selfish and rude is because we are a pretty young nation?  We haven't learned our lesson yet?  Feels like I am making excuses now.  I don't know why these things happen.  I do think we have become a more tolerant society over the course of my generation, but I don't think we are any less arrogant.  All I do know is that I still love my country even if it isn't perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Rudeness is universal. I've seen plenty of rude Asians, Europeans, Indians, and yes Americans.

    ReplyDelete